Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 4



Fridge looking a little bare. We are down to about 1 1/2 dozen eggs, no milk, no fresh veggies or fruit except some onions, leeks, and lemons. Freezer is depleting as well. We have a few bags of frozen veggies, one loaf of bread, no ground beef, a turkey breast, a few chicken breasts, and some frozen beef tips. Cold cereal is almost gone as well. All in all, meals are becoming a little more challenging to put together. We opened several of our freeze-dried and dehydrated cans. The freeze dried peaches are a winner- they were half gone the day we opened them. TVP chicken strips are a good snack food- my daughter LOVES them. They work in stir-fry as well. Banana slices, getting old- no-one wants to eat them anymore. Freeze-dried peas- GOOD. We've just snacked on them, I haven't tried to rehydrate them yet. Dehydrated mushrooms- AWESOME if you like fresh mushrooms. We've actually run out! I'll never buy canned mushrooms again. These wonders hydrate just like a fresh mushroom and taste WONDERFUL. Definitely a keeper. Dehydrated spinach- haven't tried yet. I will though soon. I'm dying for something green to eat!



Eggs- I LOVE fresh eggs. I have several versions of powdered eggs- scrambled and whole. I've used the whole powdered eggs in baking, with minimal variance from fresh egg use. This is the powdered scrambled egg. It cooks up great, and is very simple. My kids haven't noticed a difference yet. I can. It has a slightly salty, not-a-fresh-egg taste. It's tolerable. Not my favorite though. Maybe we'll try another brand to see if there are better options. Too bad we don't have a hen:). But we rely on eggs for many breakfast meals.

No comments: