Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March Madness: Week 1

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am all about preparation in many ways! This has stretched into the area of emergency preparation. Over the last 4 years or so, I have collected and organized a large amount of food, dry goods, and home essentials to provide us with a satisfying independence. The goal: to be self-sufficient for months, and eventually years. As an immensely blessed American society, we rely on our retail network HEAVILY. We are, for the most part, dependent on it. Many of us, rely on stores to feed ourselves and our families on a daily basis. I challenged myself to count how many times I went the the store in a week. My typical goal is once or less- but more often than not I go two or three times. I venture to say that there are many that do much more than that. How many times have you run out of diapers at 6pm on a Saturday night? Or realize you are totally out of milk, and your kids will only eat cold cereal for breakfast with milk? Do you have to make the run? I do, often.



So, our March Madness is this: We will rely solely on the contents within our home for food and household items for the entire month of March. The only exclusion will be fuel.



To document the process, I will post a picture of our fridge at the start of each week. I also, will be documenting our daily meals (I won't be posting those).

March 1st:



Does the chaos of the fridge alarm you? It does me...:)

1 comment:

Hart Family said...

BTW I wish I had a pantry that size. You are lucky :)