Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March Madness: Week 2

I thought I'd better include a picture of the pantry as well. Here it is at the beginning of week 2. I also want to be accurate- I have a deep chest freezer in the garage as well. Fridge. Shelves are starting to show...some a little bare, but still plenty of food.

This week I fulfilled a goal of mine- I learned how to make tortillas (whole wheat ones to boot!). They were super easy and good. I found the recipe here.


Also, with all ingredients on hand, I successfully made my son's birthday cake! Yes, it does have a cow-pie theme;)

So far this challenge hasn't changed our routine at all. It feels normal. We are using powdered milk (which I have learned that there are MUCH better tasting powdered milks out there- some taste just like fresh milk- if you need brands, let me know and I'd be happy to share). Dinners have been pretty easy and breakfasts as well. Lunches are always hard for me...my kids don't care for left-overs very much.
Also, I am pretty sure of a few areas we will be low if not completely depleted by the end of the month:
1. Dishwasher detergent (Shane's gonna be less than thrilled about that one...)
2. Zip-lock sandwich baggies (hopefully enough Saran wrap will make up for that)
3. Garbage liners (since we aren't shopping, we are not replenishing our grocery bag supply to use as garbage liners)
4. Feminine hygiene (sorry, you are really getting to know me...but I want to be REAL)

5 comments:

kmjepp said...

Cami you are so amazing! I am so impressed by all you do. Your family is so cute. I hope you are enjoying your time back east!

Hart Family said...

That cake is so dang cute. LOVE it. Your fridge still looks pretty full! Way to go. The only claim I can make is I've been making my own bread since November...not a lot in comparison, but I guess I did just have a baby :)

Ali said...

awesome!! sometimes i worry we aren't able to do much with that right now--but we could definitetly be doing some little things to help start our stash. good for you!!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Have you made any pumpkin pies yet with those pumpkins?

Colonel said...

Cam - what ARE the best dry milk brands that taste just like real milk? I've heard Moo Milk or something like that is best.