Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cloth Diapers


So, this is what I've been spending all my extra time on the last few months (well, not entirely). Cloth diapers- I know, most of you think this is madness. I'll explain a few things. One, this is so much cheaper than disposables! Seriously, in 2 years the average child has close to $1500-$2000 spent on his/her diapers! And most kids aren't out of diapers in two years (at least mine aren't). This was an expensive project, and a time consuming one, but will have cost
a fraction of the two year disposable expense...and will be utilized for more than one child. AND it really is easier than it seems. Cade actually prefers them b/c they are cotton soft...though with the cover he does have a bubble bum:) It's pretty funny. Honestly, the reason I began this adventure is b/c of my desire to "BE PREPARED" and not rely on the commercial world as much as possible.


I made 26 one-size diapers and 6 large covers, 1 extra large, and am working on making covers for newborn, small, medium, and more extra large. This is a cover and the diaper.

This just shows the size range of these diapers. They are patterned after a commercially produced cloth diaper (http://www.motherease.com/ for anyone interested- and no, I'm not selling these) but are a little different due to my own preferences and materials. They have multiple poly-resin snaps to adjust the size by folding and snapping. They've worked well for Cade. We still use disposables at night b/c he's a heavy wetter (though he leaks though most ANY diaper at night)...we are still working on a solution for that.


My next feat is making the AIO (All-in-One) diapers that are the cover and diaper in one piece. As well as some small size diapers b/c I'm afraid these one size diapers won't fit for a few months. I'm using the http://www.verybaby.com/ pattern for both of those and the smaller covers. I'll post the results. Here is a pic of the AIO diapers- I think they are pretty cute (mine will have snaps instead of Velcro though).

PS. Thanks for the tips, Geneva!:)

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Geneva would be proud. :) I am so impressed you MADE your own cloth diapers. Good for you.

Cami said...

I know:) Thanks...still a work in progress. How's the pregnancy going? Getting close:)

Becca said...

Wow, Cami!! You are one amazing lady! Good for you. I hope I'll be as good a mom as you someday!

WalkConkies said...

Wow, Cami. You are awesome! I bought some of those plain old cloth diapers at Walmart and a few pins and called that good - of course hoping I'll never have to use them. So, I'm very ispired by you as usual. I won't even mention the bees that I've been meaning to paint and send to you!!! Maybe before your baby comes!?!

Geneva said...

Cami...you ROCK! the diapers look just like my motherease. They are beautiful. Have you made any liners? That might help with the night-time problem. I put the motherease on Henry when he was 4 weeks old. He was all diaper for awhile, but they worked. You probably will want to use disposables for a few weeks anyways with the many poops a day :)

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness, you are so ambitious! Those diapers are so cute they almost make me want to switch to cloth....almost...