Wednesday, May 7, 2008

At a loss...

So, just don't know what to do for my little Brinly. She had her third UTI (urinary tract infection) a few weeks ago--and it was a whopper. Ucky bloody urine and everything--not something a mother wants to see her little child go through. The pediatrician ordered an ultrasound to check tha anatomy of her kidneys, etc. Supposedly it came back normal. She finished her last round of antibiotics about 4 days ago....then last night she was literally screaming while trying to go potty!! She eventually went after a few attempts later, but this is exactly what happens every UTI. I just don't know what to do. The Dr. said they might do a VCUG (dye test ) to check for reflux, but as of right now it has not been scheduled. I'm still waiting for the Dr. to call. And if she has reflux (urine into her kidneys and back) then the only treatment I was told is prophylaxis antibiotics--which I'm not thrilled about.

Anybody have any suggestions?? I know she needs to drink more and probably needs to be reminded to go potty often enough, but I just don't know what else to do.

6 comments:

Geneva said...

poor girl! believe it or not, i have no advice :) i hope you guys figure it out soon bc that is not fun.

and i totally agree with shane! i've said numerous times that cade henry look alike. that's so funny.

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

Abby, my youngest, has Kidney reflux. She got the dark urine with black streaks and found out that the infection had gone to the kidneys. That was our first experience a while ago and we are still dealing with it. My first urologist thought the VCUG wasn't necessary. She had the ultrasound several times and that came back fine as well. Her next infection, both me and the Pediatrician and new Urologist decided to get the VCUG done, and I am glad we did. She has a grade 3(5 being the worst) on her left kidney. I felt like I was doing something wrong, maybe contributing to them as well, but with the reflux, you just can't do anything better, but medical treatment. By the way, the test is horrible, but good to know what is going on. Let me know if you want to talk. We had her on the antibiotics for a while and then decided to do Deflux, for some reason it didn't fix the problem, but it did reduce it a little bit. She is still on the antibiotics. I was worried about it at first too, getting the resistance, but it is better than kidney infections and possible kidney damage. It depends on how severe it is, but there is surgery, the Deflux, and antibiotics for options. Hope things get better.

Unknown said...

We have a friend that gets really bad UTIs and she takes a product called Cranbarrier. It is an all natural supplement and comes in a chewable tablet. It would be worth a try, seeing how it is all natural and wouldn't hurt. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f=ps.productDetail&pid=6025

Make sure to check with your doctor if you try this.
Poor little thing! I am sure it is hard to sit there and watch her go through this. Hopefully, you can find something soon!

familyof4 said...

Poor little girl. I'm sorry she isn't feeling well =(

I get UTI's quite a bit and they are awful! I'm allergic to the antibiotics too, so I have to take something different.

I had to do a dye test about 2 1/2 years ago for fertility problems but it was okay. I had some cramping after they were done but after that I was fine. Hopefully you can skip this! Good Luck!

The Nicks Family said...

I wish I had some advice, but I don't. I am so sorry that she has to go through this as well as you. That cannot be easy to watch her go through. I hope you can get answers soon!

The Roe Family said...

I'm so sorry, it breaks my heart everytime my children have to go thru something painful. I don't know what to tell ya.

I noticed your post about food storage, I'm just getting into it myself if you have any advice I would love it. My blog is private but email me your email address and I'll add you
michelleroe01@hotmail.com